When does school start and end?
- 8:25 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri
- 8:25 a.m. and 2:25 p.m. on Wed
What are the lunch/recess times for students at Wanda Kendall (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri)?
- 2nd grade lunch is 11:15-11:45 followed by recess from 11:45-12:00
- 3rd grade lunch is 11:50-12:20 followed by recess from 12:20-12:35
- 4th grade lunch is 12:25-12:55 followed by recess from 12:55-1:10
- On 2:00 early dismissal days lunches are at the same time but there is no recess.
- On 12:35 early dismissal SIP days the 30 minute lunch schedules are: second grade begins at 11:00, 3rd grade lunch begins at 11:30 and 4th grade lunch begins at 12:00.
How much does lunch cost?
- K-4 Student lunches are $2.30. The cost to buy milk for sack lunches is 35 cents. Children may bring money for lunches to the school secretary or classroom teacher in the morning. The money should be in an envelope with the child's first and last name and account number on it. The accounts will be credited for the amount of money that the child brings to school. Parents may check lunch account balances on their child's page in Power School and will notified when the money in the account is depleted.
Does the school serve breakfast?
- Breakfast is served at Wanda Kendall from 7:45 until 8:15 a.m. The cost of breakfast is $1.45.
What if my child becomes ill and cannot attend school?
- Please notify the school office before 9:00 a.m. each day that the child is absent. An answering machine will take your calls before 8:00 a.m.
How will I know if the school is closed or dismissed early due to severe weather or other emergency?
- In case of emergency dismissal you will be notified by an automated system - One Call Now. The system will be calling number listed on the student registration forms. You may also tune in to local news stations for emergency early dismissals and school closings.
Can I call someone if I have questions?
- You can call the school and the secretary will be glad to direct your call to the appropriate person.
I would like to volunteer in the classroom, what should I do?
- Volunteers are always welcome in the building. However you must complete our Volunteer Information Form to have a background check completed through our Unit 9 office prior to volunteering. Please call the school office or contact your child's teacher.
What should I do if I have questions about bus transportation?
- You should call the school secretary at 815-432-4581.
Do I have to sign-in at the office every time I visit school?
- Yes. To monitor who is in the building, all visitors must stop in the office to pick up a visitor ID before proceeding to other parts of the building. The doors to the building are locked. You will need to ring the buzzer located at the front door. Students who come in late or leave early must be signed in or out.
What special help is available at Wanda Kendall?
- Nurse: A school nurse is on call to the building. She spends part of one day each week in the building. She does vision and hearing screening and helps with health related issues.
- School Counselor: The school counselor works with students and parents in regards to personal, social, or emotional problems. The school counselor works closely with community agencies to help children and their families.
- Learning Disability Teacher: A learning disability teacher provides special services for students who are identified with learning difficulties.
- Speech Therapist: The speech therapist works throughout the district to provide service for students who are in need of special speech or language intervention.
- RtI: The RtI Reading Program provides service to children who are reading below grade level. The teacher works with small groups or pushes into the classroom to assist the teacher.
How can I stay informed about what is happening in my child's classroom?
- All classroom teachers send weekly newsletters to parents with information about units of study and school activities. The principal sends a quarterly newsletter home with every child.
Are children allowed to ride bicycles to school?
- Yes your child may ride a bike to school. The bikes must be stored in the bike rack. Riding on school grounds is prohibited. The privilege can be suspended if safety rules are not followed.
What are the rules at Wanda Kendall?
- Line up and pass through the line in single file.
- Do not run in the lunchroom.
- Sit where directed.
- Do not leave seats without permission.
- Do not trade food or eat from a neighbor's tray.
- Do not chew gum. Pop and candy are discouraged in student sack lunches.
- Do not waste food by throwing or playing with it.
- Use good table manners.
- Walk on the right-hand side of the hallway.
- Use quiet voices.
- Keep hands to themselves.
- Pick up any items dropped on the floor.
- Go directly to their destination.
- Play only in designated areas.
- Remain outside until dismissed.
- Follow playground equipment rules--no standing on slide, no pole climbing, and
- no double swinging or twisting on swings.
- Stay on blacktop or sidewalks during bad weather.
- Do not throw mud, snow, stones, etc.
- Do not bring sleds to school.
- Do not use bicycles on sidewalks. Bicycles must be placed in racks.
- Use jump ropes only for jumping rope and for no other purpose.
- Return all playground equipment to the building after use.
- Do not engage in body contact--tackling, wrestling, hitting, etc.