FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When does school start and end?
- 8:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. (1:30 p.m. until September 18 and on all early release days)
When do the children eat lunch?
- Kindergarten - 11;25 - 11:55
- 1st grade - 10:45 - 11:15
How much does lunch cost?
- $2.65 - Children can bring money for lunches to the school secretary or classroom teacher in the morning. The accounts will be credited for the amount the child brings. Parents are notified when the money in the account is depleted.
Does the school serve breakfast?
- Breakfast is served at Nettie Davis starting at 7:40 a.m. The cost of breakfast is $1.80.
What if my child becomes ill and cannot attend school?
- Please notify the school office before 9:00 a.m. each day that the child is absent. If a parent does not call the school, the school office will call the home to confirm the reason for the student's absence. There is an answering machine for your convenience.
How will I know if the school is closed or dismissed early due to severe weather or other emergency?
- In case of emergency dismissal you will be notified by an automated system - One Call Now. The system will be calling numbers listed on the student registration forms. You may also tune in to local news stations for early dismissals or school closings.
Whom can I call if I have questions?
- You can call the school and the secretary will be glad to direct your call to the appropriate person.
I would like to volunteer in the classroom, who do I contact?
- Volunteers are always welcome in the building. Please call the school office or contact your child's teacher.
Who do I contact if I have questions about bus transportation?
- You can call the school and the secretary will help you or redirect your call to someone who can answer your question.
Do I have to sign-in at the office every time I visit the school?
- Yes. To monitor who is in the building, all visitors must stop in the office to pick up a visitor ID before proceeding to other parts of the building. Students who leave early for any reason must be signed out.
What special help is available at Nettie Davis?
- Nurse: A school nurse is on call to the building. She spends part of one day each week in the building. She does vision and hearing screening and helps with health related issues.
- Social Worker: The social worker councils with students and parents in regards to personal, social, or emotional problems. The social worker works closely with community agencies to help children and their families.
- Learning Disability Teacher: A learning disability teacher provides special services for students who are identified with learning difficulties.
- Speech Therapist: The speech therapist works throughout the district to provide service for students who are in need of special speech or language intervention.
- Title I: The Title I program provides services for students who are at risk of failure in Language Arts (reading and/or writing), with an emphasis on reading. At first through third grade, Title I teachers work with students in small groups, or by pushing into the classroom to assist the teacher during reading and/or writing.
How can I stay informed about what is happening in my child's classroom?
- All classroom teachers send weekly newsletters to parents with information about units of study and school activities. The principal sends a monthly parent newsletter home with students. A district newsletter is mailed quarterly to every household in the district.
- Response to Intervention is available to meet the educational needs of our students in the areas of Reading and Math. Every child in Kindergarten and First grades are screened, and if necessary, are provided with small group or one on one services by paraprofessionals